During the month of September, PodCastle will be looking for submissions to celebrate ARTEMIS RISING, a special month-long event across the Escape Artists podcasts featuring stories by women and nonbinary authors in genre fiction.
Stepping in as guest editor for our fourth annual ARTEMIS RISING event is PodCastle assistant editor Setsu Uzume!
- Payment at $0.06 per word. Please see our general submission guidelines for details of the rights we purchase and our sample contracts.
- Original stories only.
- Word count: 2000 – 6000 words.
- Submit using Standard Manuscript Format. We accept files in .odt, .rtf, .docx or .doc format (no PDFs).
- No multiple submissions.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Submission window runs September 1-30, 2017.
Who Can Submit
Anyone who identifies as a woman, to whatever degree that they do. Nonbinary authors are also welcome and encouraged to submit stories.
As always, we at PodCastle strongly encourage submissions from people of backgrounds that have been historically underrepresented or excluded from traditional fantasy fiction, including, but not limited to, people of color, LGBTQIA authors, persons with disabilities, members of religious minorities, and people from outside the United States. Our goal is to publish fantasy that reflects the diversity of the human race, so we strongly encourage submissions from these or any other underrepresented groups.
What to Submit
Send in your best original fantasy fiction between 2000 – 6000 words.
You can send PodCastle one submission for ARTEMIS RISING. If we have another story under consideration already in the general submissions queue, we’d be happy to consider an additional story for ARTEMIS RISING.
While we’ll be accepting a limited number of stories for ARTEMIS RISING, all stories will be considered for regular PodCastle too.
How to Submit
Start writing now, and keep an eye out for a special ARTEMIS RISING Submittable portal. Submissions will be open for the month of September.
ARTEMIS RISING Q&A
- Q: If a story has been rejected by PodCastle in the past, can I submit it to PodCastle AR?
- A: No.
- Q: If a story has multiple authors, do they all have to meet the AR criteria?
- A: Yes.
- Q: If I’ve already submitted an AR story, can I submit another I wrote with a co-author to the same podcast’s AR?
- A: No.
- Q: If I have a story on submission to a podcast, can I submit a different story to that podcast’s AR while the first one is still in the queue? Or vice versa?
- A: Yes.
- Q: Can I submit a rejected AR story to the same podcast’s non-AR submissions pile?
- A: No, because AR editors may refer your story to the show’s regular editors at their discretion. Otherwise please take a rejection as a rejection of the story from the venue for all purposes.
Thanks, and we look forward to reading your stories!
Jen R Albert, Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali, and Setsu Uzume, PodCastle Senior Editors