PC065: Foam on the Water

By Cat Rambo.
Read by C. G. Furst.

“What’s that?” Ivory said.

We stared down through the darkness. There was no one else around; it was off-season and our waiter had deserted us before the sun had set.

Trevor stood, glancing at me. “I’m going to check it out.”

“Could be a crocodile. You never know what you’ll find in Thailand.” Ivory didn’t move but her voice was unalarmed. “Feel free, boys. I’ll be right here.”

“Where’s your sense of adventure?” He grinned at her, flashing perfect white teeth.

“Left behind in an LA hotel room,” she said.

So Trevor and I went together with cautious steps. There was a steep grade to the side of the river, and thorny vines tore at us as we half-fell down it before encountering the sticky grasp of red clay mud threatening to pull our Tevas off.

She lay naked on the riverbank like a fallen swan. Her bare flesh white as snow, her hair midnight black. Her feet were thin and fragile as newly pedicured mourning doves, not a smudge or callus except for the mud that covered her.

Rated R. Contains non-vanilla adult sex.

Gia said,

August 13, 2009 @ 7:31 pm

I’ve always had a thing for fairy tales and I do like being able to pick out the original story. I remember something about the little mermaid being able to earn a soul after death, which if found very touching, but it’s probably a good thing that it was left out because it would have ruined the ending of this story.

I haven’t read Hans Christian Andersen’s stories in a long time and I plan on going back and reading them after I finish a few other things. This is not without trepidation, mind you. Anne’s not the only one who has problems with these stories. I had to kill me shadow last time. (She was the shadow, not me.)

skcll said,

August 14, 2009 @ 5:38 am

I think this is the first Cat Rambo story that I’ve liked. It’s an interesting story of of man who’s come of age to come to terms with everything he is and turning away. I like Ivory’s character. The paintings, the offering to the river, and the . The only missing thing though was a more realistic Minnie. She seemed to not have a sense of self which to me is always unbelievable (although this might fit into the whole S&M theme).

BrainWyrms » Blog Archive » Sunday’s Podsuming said,

August 16, 2009 @ 8:09 pm

[…] PodCastle 065: Foam on the Water […]

August 17, 2009 @ 5:00 pm

Cat Rambo has finally written something that connects with me well; my only gripe is that there seemed to be a lack of the fantastic in the story.

Mari Mitchell said,

August 19, 2009 @ 10:40 am

I love fairy tales. I have enjoyed most things Cat Rambo has written. I loved the setting and her description of the tale.

But somehow the ending left me dry.

cant believe said,

August 19, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

I found this story interesting, because it left things a little to the reader to find out rather than hitting you over the head with a strong theme or with that overly annoying sense of a feminist agenda being spewed out by the writer.
    Cat Rambo however always masterfully carried out the balencing act and left me as a young male with a lot to think about.

thanks again pod castle

Snarf said,

August 20, 2009 @ 11:19 pm

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but am I the only one who is offended every time I hear the warning at the start of the episode. I don’t get offended by the episodes themselves, but the warning is sooo condescending and also not very helpful.

It talks down at anyone who might be offended by the material, basically saying, “today’s story has adult subject matter in it, and if you’re offended, you’re immature.”

I would appreciate it much more if the warning said, “today’s story has S&M in it” or “today’s story has anal sex in it, and may offend some listeners,” instead of the, “you’re immature if you don’t like anal sex.”

The Great Geek Manual » Geek Media Round-Up: August 24, 2009 said,

August 25, 2009 @ 1:45 am

[…] Fiction: Listen to “Foam on the Water” by Cat Rambo at […]

Natasha said,

August 25, 2009 @ 12:52 pm

I liked this one, although I was expecting a little more of a fantastic element. Still, it had good, solid storytelling, and kept me interested throughout.

Comment RSS