PC064: Castor On Troubled Waters

By Rhys Hughes.
Read by Alasdair Stuart (of Pseudopod).

“You won’t believe what has just happened to me!”

“Tell us,” they replied.

“Very well,” he said slowly, “but I need a drink to settle my nerves first. You don’t mind if I take a sip of your beer? That’s better. And yours as well? Sure, a massive gulp isn’t the same as a sip, but listen carefully: I was kidnapped! I know it sounds ridiculous but it’s true nonetheless. Shortly after I left you, while walking along the esplanade, I noticed a strange vessel anchored offshore, an old fashioned galleon. Then a boat was lowered from it and began rowing closer and I soon realised there was something unusual about it.”

“How unusual?” asked Paddy.

Castor lowered his voice to a whisper. “It was crewed by men dressed like pirates…”

Rated PG. Contains blasted lies, and more blasted pirates.

Gia said,

August 5, 2009 @ 1:57 pm

Yay random and completely ridiculous pirate story!

Tangaroa said,

August 5, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

Very nice! Castor, the local teller of tall tales. :)

Drea said,

August 6, 2009 @ 9:47 am

Loved this!

August 6, 2009 @ 7:01 pm

A weird paradox that dosen’t make any sense at all; plus pirates!

I’m happy that Alasdair Stuart has mastered his Irish accent; too bad about his Welsh one…

Allie said,

August 7, 2009 @ 12:13 pm

Wonderful! This one is quickly becoming my favorite episode

BrainWyrms » Blog Archive » Fed up Friday said,

August 7, 2009 @ 11:37 pm

[…] PodCastle 064: Castor On Troubled Waters – A Shaggy Dog. […]

Rhys said,

August 8, 2009 @ 5:51 am

All the other ‘Castor Jenkins’ stories can be found in this book, if anyone is interested:

The publisher has had problems with distributors, which is why I’ve linked to his own website. He’s a small press publisher, a one man operation, but he’s a great book designer.

I hope it’s not bad taste to promote my work in this way? Sorry, if it is.

August 8, 2009 @ 6:15 pm

Rhys — that’s just fine! I’m sorry that I didn’t give you the link you would have wanted earlier on the page.

dont know said,

August 9, 2009 @ 11:07 pm

This story for me just seemed pointless sorry.

It seemed the whole story was leading up to a joke that I didnt find funny at all. Stories that lead up to a punchline at the end dont tickle my fancy at all sorry.

The Great Geek Manual » Geek Media Round-Up: August 11, 2009 said,

August 11, 2009 @ 6:02 pm

[…] Fiction: Listen to the short story “Castor On Troubled Waters” by Rhys Hughes at […]

Kelly Harris said,

August 11, 2009 @ 8:23 pm

I loved this story… Very playful!! I enjoy the way his friends patiently listened to the entire outrageous story and even forgot for a minute that he was trying to pull a fast one. The end was obvious, was supposed to be and for me that fact was what made it even more enjoyable. You just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Where’s Al? « Alasdair Stuart’s Blog said,

August 12, 2009 @ 4:26 pm

[…] also narrated ‘Castor on Troubled Waters‘ for Podcastle last week.  Written by Rhys Hughes it’s the story of one man, lots of […]

Elie Hirschman said,

August 23, 2009 @ 8:38 am

Hurrah for the weirdness of a Rhys Hughes story, and double hurrah for the performance of Alasdair Stuart. I narrated a Rhys story a while back, but I think the website upon which it was featured has since gone bye bye. Still, it was fun.

Natasha said,

August 25, 2009 @ 12:53 pm

Excellent! I loved the way all the threads tied together. So much fun!

Comment RSS