PC Miniature 36: To-Do List

by Nick Mamatas.
Read by Jake Squid.

1. Go to your local public library. Find a copy of _The Undiscovered Self_ by Carl Jung. Take a $50 bill from your pocket, fold it half, and insert it between pages 122 and 123. You will not return to that library until you have completed the rest of the tasks on this list.

Rated R. for language.

July 25, 2009 @ 2:26 am

what about the zombies?!

Jacob said,

July 25, 2009 @ 7:18 pm

Maybe I shouldn’t have listened to the story with half an attention while cleaning, but the story seemed rather random. Am I wrong?

Gia said,

July 26, 2009 @ 9:21 pm

I tried it and it didn’t go well. My old lady, Lucille, hates anything that sounds remotely like music, the new-age shop guy kicked me out because he found the term warlock offensive (My great grandfather beat up a warlock. Yep.) and my fifty was still there. On the bright side, the candidate from the Missing Sock Party won the local election after the two major party candidates tripped over the sticks, looking stupid in front of the entire populous of the township.

Music Fan said,

July 28, 2009 @ 12:13 am

This wasn’t my favorite story, and I didn’t enjoy the narration. In particular, I was unpleasantly surprised by the off-key singing, which lasted for much too long. While a narrator doesn’t need to be Barry White, if a story involves singing, it is important that he or she be able to sing well enough that his or her voice does not detract from the story. A good narrator can even improve on a story by giving voice to the music and cadence which the words suggest. Steve Anderson did a wonderful job with this in Chu-bu and Sheemish. I would love to hear more narration like that.

MrsFuji said,

July 28, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

I have to agree with Music Fan. The singing went on for WAY TOO LONG! I can deal with the off key singing for a moment or two, but it went on for over a minute. I had trouble focusing on the rest of the story because I was so bugged by the damn song. This miniature would have been better off with out it. (and over 10% more miniature)

July 30, 2009 @ 6:03 pm

That was ingenius; weirdness only one in a million could do. I just in fact read an article by Mamatas in the New Humanist about Edgar Allen Poe which was quite resounding.

BrainWyrms » Blog Archive » GIF podsuming said,

July 31, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

[…] PC Miniature 36: To-Do List – Significantly unimpressed with this meander. If someone understands this, please explain it to me. […]

Nora said,

August 4, 2009 @ 2:39 am

I thought it was great.

Thomas said,

August 5, 2009 @ 10:44 am

I agree that singing was horrific and I expected more from someone who is notorious for picking fights on the internet.

I have say I was sorely disappointed.

Dave (aka Nev the Deranged) said,

August 5, 2009 @ 7:26 pm

Meh. Normally I like this sort of thing (the one with the directions was much better), but this reading was mehful and it really didn’t give me any of the sense of hidden depth that these sorts of things are supposed to.

Marisa said,

August 10, 2009 @ 12:25 pm

The sound quality of the narration wasn’t very good, and I really didn’t care for the narrator, either. OTOH, I loved the intro song (not the one the narrator sings).

G said,

August 11, 2009 @ 11:34 pm

I loved this story … can even see it as a full length paranoid fantasy feature film! And yes, the singing was bad.

Mari Mitchell said,

August 22, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

I kept thinking there was something there, but it felt like this has the making for an interesting story but as it reads now it is only half formed. It is too gooey for me.