PodCastle Miniature 30: Rotations and Consequences

by Katherine Sparrow.
Read by Rachel Swirsky.

Dear people of the world,

Here is something that happened that you should really know about. That you need to know about. I know because I saw it. There was a woman who walked into her backyard. The grass beneath her bare feet was wet and cold, but she knelt and lay down upon it with her palms pressed into the ground and her legs spread wide. She touched as much of it as her finite body was able to. In her fenced- in yard, in the subdivision of her suburb, underneath the faint stars, she closed her eyes. I saw her.

Rated PG. Contains flight.

Haddayr said,

April 16, 2009 @ 10:10 pm

Oh I LOVED this!

keyan said,

April 17, 2009 @ 4:29 am

Very cool!

April 19, 2009 @ 6:57 pm

Meh–more fluffy, mushy, slushy uninteresting nonsense. What about something with whimsy and texture and taste and body and–the hardest request of all–some sort of plot?

Juno42 said,

April 22, 2009 @ 2:12 am

I liked this, for reasons I can’t really pin down. If this song was not inspired by the Talking Heads song “And She Was” I’d be incredible surprised.

Soirbleu said,

April 27, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

I was thinking exactly the same thing as Juno 42 — that it was inspired or based on Talking Heads “And She Was.” I kept thinking I knew what was going to happen, (and then I did), because it was so similar to the song. It was interesting to see that idea expanded as if someone else was watching the events happening in it. It would have been a very strange thing to witness.

The only thing I disliked was how wordy the story was… it felt like it could have been condensed quite a bit without losing anything — namely the self-apsorbtion of the narrator. Otherwise it was a very interesting story.

PaulthePotter said,

April 30, 2009 @ 9:28 pm

I liked it but not as a story. This was poetry!!!!!! Not a story!!!!
    PTP

Lauretta said,

May 25, 2009 @ 6:18 pm

I liked it. Wish there were something more there, but I really liked it as it is. There’s a lot of sense of wonder to it.

Short Stories Review Roundup: May 2014 – April 2015, Part 2 | Fyrefly's Book Blog said,

May 6, 2015 @ 8:42 am

[…] Rotations and Consequences by Katherine Sparrow is a story about a middle aged woman who goes outside, lies down, and becomes untethered by gravity and floats away out into the universe. It kept reminding us that even when we’re “still”, we’re always moving at a thousand miles per hour, but I didn’t quite get the story part of things. Listen to it […]