PC047 Giant Episode: Bright Waters

by John Brown.
Read by Wilson Fowlie.

He looked at their leg tattoos. Mohawk. One of the Iroquois tribes. Well, he couldn’t kill them then.

Not that he’d want to. They were, after all, just boys. Still, Indian boys weren’t like the lads back in Rotterdam. It had been small Abenaki lads, just like these, that tried to take his scalp the first year as a trapper. He’d killed them all with the blood flowing down the side of his face and a chunk of his scalp flapping about like a wig.

And so he’d need to be ready. Hunting knives hung from the belts at their waists. But none carried a war club. Only one held a bow.

Jan sneaked back the way he had come and then up and around in front of them so that the boys would walk right up the trail into him. The path bent around a hill where the river willow grew thick. He waited for them there.

He withdrew rope and a knife from his pack. He couldn’t kill them, but he could tie them up and scare them into good Christian men.

Rated R. Contains some violence, some “adult situations,” and some fun battle scenes.

John Brown - the author’s official site » Blog Archive » “Bright Waters” is up on PodCastle said,

April 8, 2009 @ 7:47 am

[…] Waters is up on PodCastle in free […]

George S said,

April 8, 2009 @ 11:40 am

With regard to the intro:

While They Might Be Giant’s recording of “Istanbul (not Constantinople)” is probably the most famous one, it may be interesting to know that the song was originally written and recorded back in 1953, coinciding (though probably not by coincidence) with the five hundredth year after Constantinople fell to – and became the capital of – the Ottoman Empire.

April 8, 2009 @ 3:51 pm

Ha. That’ll teach me to ask my husband “Who wrote that song?” rather than asking, say, the internets.

(That makes sense, though. I was having trouble squaring “They Might Be Giants” with the way I first heard the song — on a juke box in the 80s at a family-owned Italian restaurant.)

steve potter said,

April 9, 2009 @ 7:09 am

it was a good story, thanks for posting it.

but thats all it was, just an average “good”.

could you push the envelope just a little more please?

April 9, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

Ahhh, what historical fantasy and magic realism is supposed to be. I also have a personal interest in American colonization–I’m even planning an alternate history based around the period at this very moment–and this went down me just right.

steve potter said,

April 10, 2009 @ 8:59 am

oh no, I said something to the contrary of scatterbrain (and he is always right!!)

(holds up hand) can I change my mind please !!

PaulthePotter said,

April 10, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

I enjoyed this one. True, not much fantasy in it (no magic no evil no fun no sin no wonder it’s dark, oops that’s Devo) The author created a nice little story. Well crafted and the little bit of magic was fit in perfectly.
    I do prefer more magic and stuff, but I wouldn’t kick this one out of bed.

LittleLotus said,

April 13, 2009 @ 12:21 pm

I’m kind of inbetween liking and disliking this story. I love that its creative in that it is a “what would have been” story (that is one of my favorite fictions) and the characters are wonderful and deep. Yet, I can’t help but think of “Dances with Wolves” and the likeness of the story lines. I don’t know if I would call this fantacy fiction but I think I liked it none the less.

April 13, 2009 @ 11:27 pm

What a delightfull story! dont we hate those frenchies… yarrr!

Dave (aka Nev the Deranged) said,

April 27, 2009 @ 9:16 pm

I liked this one a lot. The magic part was kind of tacked on, and honestly, the story would have been just as good without it. Or with more of it, in the sense of the magic that there was having more of a point. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this one thoroughly. Despite Steve Potter’s comment, I think this was pushing the boundaries just right. How many stories in this setting have I run into? Not enough.

Tom Fury said,

May 2, 2009 @ 7:48 pm

I thought this was a GREAT story – I love historical fiction and this didn’t disappoint. I was a little surprised to hear it on this site, but a great story is a great story, no matter where it shows up. I just wish someone would explain what a corn stick is …

Dean said,

May 19, 2009 @ 12:26 pm

Good story. Bad song. Sorry.

Ben Root said,

June 24, 2009 @ 1:13 am

Loved it! (I know, I am a little behind on posting…) I have to say that lately Podcastle has been “out-storying” Escapepod. Stories like this and “Shards of Glass” are why I listen.

Gwen said,

August 17, 2009 @ 7:26 pm

Interesting story, but way to long. I had figured out the ending very early on, and waiting and waiting for it to come to pass for 45 minutes was excruciating. One thing I did like about it: it avoided the “savage Indians” trope by having the Iroquois characters be as sympathetic (or more so) than many of the European characters, and portrayed settlers and natives interacting in a respectful (if not always tension-free) way.