PodCastle Miniature 27: Faery Cats: The Cutest Killers

by Lucy A. Snyder
read by Rachel Swirsky

San Francisco, CA—From country homes to urban server farms, faery cats are taking America by storm as the hottest trend in pets.

16-year-old Melissa Eager’s bedroom is decorated entirely with paintings and statuettes of winged cats, which she has acquired at science fiction conventions around the country.

“I love love love faery cats,” says Eager. “And I had no idea they were for real until I saw one at a shop in Mill Valley. It was all black, and it had long, shiny wings like a raven. So pretty! I was all like, ‘Mom, I will totally die if you don’t get me that!’”

Rated G. Contains… well, faery cats. Which are killers, but you know. Cute.

Jennifer said,

March 20, 2009 @ 11:24 am

Hilarious. I sent this off to a faery-loving, cat-loving friend immediately. She’ll probably be traumatized :)

George Bailey said,

March 20, 2009 @ 11:33 am

This is flash fiction at it’s BEST!!!

Gia said,

March 21, 2009 @ 12:21 pm

Kyle Selena? :) I haven’t been able to catch jokes in any of the other names, but I got this one.
    I love (faery) cats.

Lee Daniel Crocker said,

March 22, 2009 @ 12:37 am

Not a comment on this episode in particular, but could you guys please put correct ID3 tags in your MP3 files? Those of us who follow more than one podcast appreciate being able to organize them properly.

March 22, 2009 @ 6:51 pm

The only thing I disliked about this story was its odd and disrespectful use of Cthulhu Mythos locale and elements. Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!

Dave (aka Nev the Deranged) said,

March 23, 2009 @ 7:41 pm

I can’t seem to download any of the recent eps… I’ll try again later, it might be on my end.

Dylan said,

March 24, 2009 @ 12:14 am

I really liked this story. I am a journalism major, so I think the idea of a fake newspaper article is pretty clever. My one gripe is that newspaper articles are written in a different style than radio and TV news stories. I think this story would look great in print, but could have been rewritten for more of a radio style for this podcast.

Rachel H. said,

March 24, 2009 @ 9:49 am

Charming! I loved the warnings about how cats not allowed to do the job they’re bred for can become problems … (I have worked with rescue Border Collies, who often have the same issue.)

Out of curiosity — I live in Tewksbury, MA, and there is a Waffle House here. Is the placement there of an invisible Dunwich Horror significant, or just chosen at random? :)

Steven C. said,

March 24, 2009 @ 12:48 pm

Dave:
    Me, too. Podcastle & Pseudopod mp3 downloads are getting redirected to “not found” pages (9:45 am PDT, 24 March 2009). I hope our editors take a look and get things fixed soon…

The Great Geek Manual » Geek Media Round-Up: March 24, 2009 said,

March 24, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

[...] Fiction: Listen to “Faery Cats: The Cutest Killers” by Lucy A. Snyder and “Immersed in Matter” by Nina Kiriki Hoffman at [...]

March 25, 2009 @ 9:27 am

Our technical people are on it.

This is the note our managing editor sent me on the problem:

Libsyn has apparently stopped serving files via the web page or the
    feed. I can FTP to http://ftp.libsyn.com just fine. But trying to grab files
    isn’t working — we get a 0-byte file from the download links, the flash
    player reports an error, and the WordPress posting interface can’t auto
    detect anything about a file sitting on Libsyn’s server.

Txistu said,

March 26, 2009 @ 9:08 pm

LOL FEHRIE CATZ! Too funny–I loved it.

ADerksen said,

April 1, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

Yeah? I’m sorry, but I am not a fan of this story myself. I only wish I had deleted it instead of trying to trooper on to the end, and this is the first story I have even come close to having that sort of negative opinion on.

This story is a perfect example as to why I avoid conventions, and why so many people have such a bad opinion of fantasy fiction as a whole. Too many “too clever” inside-jokes that are just too precious. Stuff like this tarnishes the authors of a good bit of fantasy fiction like “The Grand Cheat” or “Fourteen Experiments in Postal Delivery” in the public eye because they all get tarred with the same brush.

April 4, 2009 @ 11:10 pm

I wish my cat had wings. Would be the most awesome thing ever.

mithrilwombat said,

April 7, 2009 @ 3:10 pm

The Dunwich Horror in the back of a wafflehouse? It explains so much!