PC034: Clad In Gossamer

By Nancy Kress
Read by Paul S. Jenkins (of the Rev Up Review and The Fix Online)

“Tell me again,” I said.

The shorter, older one said smoothly, “Garments in subtle colors like shaded sky, Your Highness. As finely spun and light to wear as spiderwebs. Yet warm, impervious to water, and impenetrable by stinging insects.”

I nodded eagerly, as if I believed this nonsense. “And the magic…”

“Ah, the magic. Tell him again, Sorrel.”

Rated R. for nudity. Contains fashion, or lack thereof.

November 19, 2008 @ 7:40 am

Very well done indeed. The story did not go quite the way I was hoping, but keeping with the original intent of the Fairy Tale, much more true. I cannot ask for more.

[And not a lustful wolf in sight.]

Dylan Heath said,

November 19, 2008 @ 1:31 pm

I really enjoyed this story. I am skeptical of stories based on old, old stories like this, But I really liked the new direction it went. I agree with what Hyperion said in the first comment. I wanted the story to end differently, but I think that’s because I liked the main character so much. Great great writing. Great voice work.

WriterDan said,

November 19, 2008 @ 3:33 pm

Well written and somewhat interesting. A few inconsistencies in the main character’s thought processes once the question of his nudity, ahem, arises. Overall, completely pointless though. It’s a story that’s not only been told before, but told in almost the exact same way. There’s nothing new, except for maybe gratuitous references to the poor guy’s manhood. Can’t say that I really enjoyed the telling of this one enough to warrant the repetition inherent in it.

November 19, 2008 @ 10:32 pm

one cant help rooting for the stupid prince can one… darn you smart princey prince, how dare you outsmart your stupid clod offa brother!

November 20, 2008 @ 5:12 pm

Most “re-imaginings” of this sort usually misfire, but this I enjoyed quite a lot.

LittleLotus said,

November 24, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

I hate to be the only one, but I really didn’t like this story. The reading was fine, but I kept having flashbacks to “The Emperor’s New Clothes”. Yet I kept listening, hoping something new would arise from the plot, but it was exactly the same story with just a slight twist.

I Barrett said,

April 21, 2009 @ 5:30 am

this is the best story i have ever read….. so touching…..

Clad in Gossamer « Writing Every Day said,

October 14, 2009 @ 12:06 am

[…] Collected in Silver Birch, Blood Moon, or you can listen to it on Podcastle. […]

Hear That? SPECIAL EDITION: Rainforest Writers Village « Sandra M. Odell said,

March 12, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

[…] by Stephen Eley * “Eliot Wrote”, Lightspeed Magazine, narrated by Jim Meskimen * “Clad In Gossamer”, PodCastle, narrated Paul S. Jenkins * “The Flowers of Aulit Prison” , StarShipSofa, […]