PodCastle Miniature 21: The Princess and the…

By Marie Brennan
Read by Ann Leckie

Sixty years on, I’m amazed at what they’ve done to the truth.

Rated R. for innuendo.

November 18, 2008 @ 3:05 am

bwaaa haha, funny… i hate to say it but it took me an entire five minutes to get the title [you have to like… repeat it… after youve heard the story].

November 18, 2008 @ 7:00 am

I wasn’t familiar with the author, but after listening, there was no doubt in my mind who chose the story.

What are you girls, 11 years old?

I’m not sure if I am putting you down or paying you the highest compliment. Maybe both.

On another note, recently Rachel Swirsky dropped the “Chief Editor” label, which she claimed was no big deal. Now I hear Ann Leckie as “C0-Editor.”

You don’t have to be born yesterday (or in Ann Leckie’s case, 11 years ago) to realize that some sort of behind-the-scenes catfight has been taking place.

I hope neither one of you manages to kill the other. Rachel brings a cosmopolitan sophistication to her selections, with an expansive world view and glittering insight. Ann has a roguish playful streak, and would definitely swipe dirty magazines from her under her brother’s mattress to read in the closet/clubhouse while Rachel lectured us about baby whales with polio.

You’re both princesses to me. I’d go camping with you anytime.

November 18, 2008 @ 7:57 am

Should be written on a beer mat…

Jennifer said,

November 18, 2008 @ 3:46 pm

Bwahahahahah. I love this. Dirty minds, yay! Best short ever!

November 19, 2008 @ 2:49 am

Um. Ann Leckie didn’t pick this story. Neither did I. Steve Eley did: it was one of the 10 or so full-length, and 15 or so flash stories that were in Escape Pod’s stock when he decided to start running exclusively science fiction. He passed these stories to PodCastle when he founded the magazine. I’ve been running them interspersed with the choices that I’ve made.

I make all final purchasing decisions for stories that are submitted now. Ann is referred to as the associate editor, or co-editor, or whatever, because honestly, neither of us cares much about titles. Your assessment of Ann’s character is based on a series of incorrect assumptions.

November 27, 2008 @ 8:34 am

Just trying to be funny. No offense meant.

November 29, 2008 @ 5:58 pm

Hilarious, absolutely hilarious. Now I’ll know what the web-nerds are saying when they say “Hey baby, let me be the pea under your mattresses. Oh yeah!”

LaShawn said,

December 5, 2008 @ 1:53 pm

Giggle! Love it!

Carol said,

January 30, 2009 @ 2:52 am

That was the best short ever. I loved the twisted take on a classic tale, absolutely brillant.