PC022: Dead Girl’s Wedding March

By Cat Rambo
Read by Rachel Swirsky.
Introduction by Ann Leckie.
First appeared in Fantasy Magazine, 2006 (full text online).

“The Physician came with eager steps, for new cases were few and far between. He insisted on examining Zuleika from head to toe, and would have had her disrobe, save for her father’s protest.

“She seems well enough to me,” the Physician said in a disappointed tone.

“She believes she wishes to marry.”

“Tut, tut,” the Physician said in astonishment. “Well now. Love. And you wish this cured?”

“Before the contagion spreads any further or drives her to actions imperiling us all.”

Rated G. Contains love between a rat and a girl five thousand years dead.

LittleLotus said,

August 27, 2008 @ 12:13 pm

Why is it that every really great story ends just when its getting good? I wish this story went on further to explain who the mages and sorcerers were that created this zombie world and what happened when love was introduced after the initial destruction. But I guess that would be my part as a reader/listener to decide for myself. Great story, great reading, and as always I can’t wait for more!

Benjamin said,

August 28, 2008 @ 7:09 am

Great writing, spellbinding and haunting world.
    But was that an ending?
    What was the moral of the story: beware of your bored teenagers or they will destroy the world around you?

nORM said,

August 28, 2008 @ 9:41 am

Sorry, didn’t care for this one. As always Cat Rambo has a great imigination, but falls short on drive and emotion. This one was stale for me.

August 29, 2008 @ 3:43 am

“Dead Girl’s Wedding March” had a sweet elegaic tone, although it reminded me powerfully of another story about a dead city that did not know it was dead. (The name escapes me at the moment, although to be clear: I’m not accusing or anything.)

I think my “problem,” if it could be called that, is that the story feels so slight. A beautiful set-up, with interesting characterization and a nice mystery about the city, and then nothing happens. I could have wished to see how the other rats reacted, or some of the wedding itself.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but it just seemed like there was so much possibility here, and not enough of it was realized.

Bingorage said,

August 29, 2008 @ 3:28 pm

Incomplete! This is a world that I want to spend weeks reading about, and all I got was the second last chapter.
    :Eric

David said,

September 1, 2008 @ 11:48 pm

Interesting story, always nice to see love bring down the house, or kingdom as the case may be.

aaron said,

September 4, 2008 @ 9:10 pm

Not a bad story, I don’t mind the ending like some of the others did.

The people had immortality, but at the price of never changing.

I think the argument was whether immortality meant anything if you weren’t really living.

September 7, 2008 @ 4:30 pm

I thought the ending was excellently minimilistic and suited the story; by the way we need a lot more zombies as well.

Zergonapal said,

September 17, 2008 @ 3:03 am

I felt nothing listening to this podcast, no wait, I felt ANNOYED.
    Annoyed at all of the cliches like the father set in his way, the leecherous doctor, the perverted rat and the 5312 year old teenager that was STILL selfish.
    Annoyed that, using a culinary anology, I was eating cardboard. Except I can sink my teeth into cardboard so it was more like unsweetened egg whites, yeah theres alot you can do with egg whites, but this story wasn’t even half-baked.

September 22, 2008 @ 6:46 pm

This was really, really bad.

Lame characters, piss-poor magic system that made little sense, and just because a story stops, doesn’t mean it ended.

Alas, a blog » Blog Archive » Review of Eyes Like Sky and Coal and Moonlight by Cat Rambo (Paper Golem Press, 2009) said,

December 8, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

[...] a devoted fan of her work ever since. I’ve published her work on PodCastle – Magnificent Pigs; Dead Girl’s Wedding March; “I’ll Gnaw Your Bones,” the Manticore Said; Foam on the Water; In Order to Conserve; and the [...]