PodCastle Miniature 004: Hippocampus

By M. K. Hobson
Read by Stephen Eley (of Escape Pod).
First appeared in ChiZine: Treatments of Light and Shade in Words.

I see a seahorse. It is curled like a question mark on the sand. I pick it up and show it to her.

“Ah!” she says, her delight surprisingly intense. She’s a woman who takes intense delight in very few things, I’ve found. “Your hippocampus! How clever of you to have found it!”

Rated PG. Contains immoral characters and crunchy dreams.

Why PodCastle miniatures? According to wikipedia, the word miniature is derived from the Latin minium, red lead, and is a picture in an ancient or medieval illuminated manuscript. We thought it was a good way to describe very short stories with a fantasy theme: a word that indicates brievity, manuscripts, and a medieval atmosphere.

barblane said,

May 24, 2008 @ 10:18 pm

Hippocampus didn’t grab me at all.

barblane said,

May 24, 2008 @ 10:20 pm

I turned it off half way through and thought NO try again I did survived till the end. still didn’t grab me

treed said,

May 27, 2008 @ 11:32 pm

i was wondering where this story was heading, then it ended. CHOMP! LAUGHED and left me with a smile for the day. thought it had a terrific ending. caught me off guard with that wonderful twist.

May 29, 2008 @ 3:48 pm

Seems uncomplete…and this won an award?

LittleLotus said,

June 5, 2008 @ 1:31 pm

My first impression of this story was of “what is this?”. But upon futher pondering I found it interesting. It took a while to understand exactly where the author is going with the story; its not to attach yourself to the characters but to the idea that the short term memory is found elsewhere and easily distroyed. Although the story is short and upon first listening very confusing, giving it a second chance made it all the better.

Dave said,

June 5, 2008 @ 8:46 pm

Huh. Cute little flash bit, I guess. Flash fiction tends to be a bit opaque, it’s difficult to convey a believable world and interesting characters in such a brief format, so a little leniency is ok. It wasn’t fantastic or anything. Just cute.

June 10, 2008 @ 6:19 pm

Call it cute, short, opaque, even. A story without and ending is still just that.

September 14, 2008 @ 5:05 pm

Listening again and I’ve changed my mind: It is as it is and I think I like it.

The Fix | From the Podosphere: May 2008 said,

October 17, 2008 @ 1:41 pm

[...] concise at under four minutes, “Hippocampus” by M. K. Hobson (read by Stephen Eley) is another miniature, concerning a couple strolling [...]

Comment RSS